March 3, 2011

Sausages in (onion) gravy

Do you ever have those days when all you feel like is some good old comfort food, no matter how good or bad it is for you? I had one of those days the other day. I was tired and not feeling very well and all I felt like was one of my favourite dishes from my childhood - Sausages in onion gravy. I know some of you will be horrified by the sound of this dish, but no matter how bad it sounds (and looks) it's really very tasty. Plus it's very easy and fairly quick to make.
Yes, I know, it's not the greatest looking meal...but it's comfort food! :)
You start off with as many BBQ sausages you need. You can use whatever sausages you want here - flavoured or plain, but we usually just get plain ones for this meal. In a frying pan with a little bit of oil fry the sausages until they're brown and cooked through.
Usually I slice a large onion into rings and cook it in the pan with the sausages, however on this occassion we were all out of onions so I decided to replace them with mushrooms. I sliced a few large mushrooms up and added them to the pan with the sausages to cook.
While these were cooking, I put 3 tablespoons of gravy powder (I know, I know) in a small bowl and filled it with water and whisked the two together. Once the sausages and mushrooms were cooked, I poured this gravy mixture over the top and stirred occassionally until the mixture thickened.
And that was it! Very simple, very quick. While I was cooking the sausages I also steamed some vegetables to have on the side - zucchini, carrots and potatoes which I mashed. Mashed potatoes with Sausages in Onion Gravy is a fantastic combination.
I must admit it tasted a little different to how it usually tastes - I'm guessing this is because of the use of mushrooms instead of onions. It was still very nice, but just not as good as usual.

Recipe Source: Family recipe

2 comments:

  1. This would be the perfect dinner for tonight I think! At home with a comforting plate of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic :) It's very much comfort food - great especially for when the colder months hit.

    ReplyDelete

share post

Facebook