October 21, 2014

Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens and Cafe

We've started to have such beautiful, sunny days lately and I'm really looking forward to spending more and more time outside enjoying it.  There's so many great festivals coming up (especially the Paris to Provence and the Hispanic Latin ones in November) plus there's some beautiful gardens for picnics in Melbourne and beyond. One garden that I found out about recently and plan to revisit soon is the Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens in Daylesford. I had no idea they existed until I started seeing images on Facebook recently and my family ended up visiting for my sister's birthday.
 What would Martha do - Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens
This is the tower that's in the gardens - there's stairs inside so you can climb all the way to the top. I'm a little terrified scared of heights so I didn't give it a go this time but my two nephews and their mum raced up to the top. 
What would Martha do - Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens
The gardens were so beautiful, there were lots of flowers starting to bloom and so many amazingly massive old trees. If you don't visit the cafe there then it'd be the perfect spot for a picnic.
What would Martha do - Wombat Hill House Cafe
We got a big table in the window of the cafe to eat at. I just loved that place - from the art on the walls like above to the gorgeous big blue bookshelves with a ladder and cool industrial type stools. The cafe is run by Alla Wolf-Tasker, the very same who owns the Lake House in Daylesford. It has much more of a casual vibe with seating outside in the sun. The cafe serves up simple seasonal food, sourced from the local area.
What would Martha do - Wombat Hill House Cafe
I tried the Moroccan Meatballs with couscous which was fantastic. It had yoghurt drizzled over the top and a sprinkling of dukkah that added a nice crunch. My skinny latte (not pictured) was really good too,
What would Martha do - Wombat Hill House Cafe
Of course, any birthday needs cake so we ended up picking this beautiful Hummingbird cake from the large amount of beautiful looking sweets on offer. Mum and I ended up sharing the one above, and it was amazing.

Wombat Hill House
Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens
Daylesford, Victoria
3460
Wombat Hill House on Urbanspoon
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Wombat cafe was amazing...such a good feel place with food to remember. The gardens are relaxing and was an awesome birthday venue!

    ReplyDelete

share post

Facebook